www.flickr.com
items in 2010 Life Path Challenge More in 2010 Life Path Challenge pool

Saturday, March 30, 2013

ALTERED BOOK PAGE BACKGROUNDS

 I am starting another altered book.  That means taking an old book and re-purposing it.  I rather do this than recycle or throw away.  Besides, it makes a great art journal.
 In this case I am using an old children's music book leftover from the days when I home schooled my children here in Ukraine.  We knew we couldn't buy English books here so we brought plenty with us from the states.  My girls never lacked for something to read.  These two are gesso and paint with a bit of stamping on this second one.
 I always remove about half the pages and then glue at least two together for strength.  Sometimes I gesso my pages, but not always.  Above was sprayed over a plastic grid I found while walking in the woods (someone's dump pile).  I know, just call me the bag lady.  I did like the effect, though.
 Yellow paint, followed by brown spray, followed by large foam stamps.
 Only gesso here and a border of tea tags.  Also, stamp pad (black) around the edges.  Music makes such a nice background. 
 After painting I brushed over it with a black stamp pad.  Gesso or paint can cause some buckling of the paper, but that never bothers me.  Just gives it more texture so I don't mind.
 Gesso and stamp pad....so pretty.
 Swirls done in crayon as a resist and painted over with the yellow.  I've finished a "bird" theme altered book.  This will be another or possibly bird/butterfly.  Two of my favorite critters. 

If you want to learn more about altering books you certainly can do a Google search, but you can also check out this site where I've been hanging out for several years now http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alteredbooks/

11 comments:

Daphne said...

Coleen, These page spreads are astounding. I can just imagine you so anxious to continue each page, as they are so inviting. Lovely beginnings.

Susie Jefferson said...

Very nice backgrounds, can't wait to see what you do with these pages!

bohemiannie! art said...

Awesome backgrounds Coleen! I look forward to new art projects while setting up my nest. I've already been to yard sales and have a couple books waiting for me in FL.

Terri Kahrs said...

Oh, Coleen! You're a girl after my own heart! LOVE how you've reused & recycled so many things and have added them to your art. Amazing that we've 'connected' thru Jamie Lynn! There are no mistakes in the Universe - we're all "connected" and it's wonderful! Blowing kisses & sending a 'hug'! ♥ Terri

Sharon House said...

Lovely background pages Coleen! You were definitely having some fun getting those done!

Sharon
http://mystoryart.com

Linda Jo said...

Great backgrounds!!!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful beginnings. Now I'm anxious to see how you fill them!

Sandi McLean said...

Lovely pages...you inspire me to get back to my own!

Unknown said...

Some beautiful back grounds here I want to see them as finished spreads set to it :) Dxx

Patti said...

I like the idea of a music book as the background. This is looking very nice!

Art By Wanda said...

Fabulous!!! Birds and butterflies, two of my favorite critters also.

/* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ .pin_it_button { overflow: visible; width: 51px; height: 26px; margin-right: 1px; font: normal normal normal 11px/normal Arial, sans-serif; background-color: transparent !important; background-image: url("http://assets.pinterest.com/images/pinitbutton_sprite.png") !important; color: #CD1F1F !important; background-position: 0px 0px !important; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat !important; cursor: pointer; } .pin_it_button:hover { background-position: 0px -27px !important; }