www.flickr.com
items in 2010 Life Path Challenge More in 2010 Life Path Challenge pool

Monday, October 8, 2012

USING NAPKINS IN YOUR ART JOURNAL

Recently I have participated in a napkin swap in two different Yahoo sites:  Christian Paper Artists and Altered Books.  So I thought I'd show some of the things I've done with napkins.  Though I have used napkins for years in various projects, this is one of the first journal pages I did a few years ago surrounding faces I'd drawn.  It was rather an experiment, but I was happy how it turned out.  The grapes and leaves are napkins.
I was so happy when I found these bird napkins in Kiev, Ukraine.  The birds and the leaves are the napkins.  I also used music sheets from paper applied with thinned white glue like the napkins.  Left page is written, "It is in all of us- to express, to create, to seek approval and fellowship of others."  On right page, "It is in all of us to be brave, to seek adventure, to want an amazing love, And to never forget---we are on this earth to love one another."

The pumpkin and the basket are napkins along with the top leaf border and right border. The bottom leaves are simply paper cut-outs.  The right page says, "A Sweet Friendship Refreshes the Soul." Proverbs 27:9  This page was done as a monthly verse challenge on Yahoo's Christian Paper Artists site.

This last art journal example is using the inside (the non-printed) part of the napkin.  I liked this picture but I didn't want it to so dominate the layout so I toned it down by covering it with the napkin.  Left page says, "Help me to unearth the passions of my heart that lay buried in my youth."  Ken Gire.  The right side, along the opening lily says, "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."  Anais Nin.  Tomorrow I shall post "altered art" pieces done with napkins.  Thanks for stopping by. I so appreciate your comments.
 

9 comments:

Faye said...

Gorgeous, Coleen. You are so multitalented.

Coleen said...

Faye, you are too kind. I just like to play. You are always an encouragement.

Anonymous said...

These are some of my favorite pages. You have so many lovely napkins!

Daphne said...

These are just awesome, Coleen. I especially like how you used the second part of the napkin and the aura around her using stencils. Super!

Coleen said...

Patti, ever faithful. You are a sweetie. I can send you some napkins. Europe has such beautiful ones.

Coleen said...

Thank you, Daphne for taking the time to stop by. So appreciated. The stencil was, in fact, just a plastic doily I found around the house. It turned out so well it's now part of my art supplies.

Debra LeeBerry said...

All of these are beautiful but I really love the bird and pumpkin ones! Wonderful art! :-)

bohemiannie! art said...

Awesome....wonderful pages.

arthome said...

love your blog, wonderful inspiring art
Gerda

/* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ .pin_it_button { overflow: visible; width: 51px; height: 26px; margin-right: 1px; font: normal normal normal 11px/normal Arial, sans-serif; background-color: transparent !important; background-image: url("http://assets.pinterest.com/images/pinitbutton_sprite.png") !important; color: #CD1F1F !important; background-position: 0px 0px !important; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat !important; cursor: pointer; } .pin_it_button:hover { background-position: 0px -27px !important; }